 General / 39458
Re: Why sets receive a ZERO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:09:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:
...However, if we really want a meaningful rating system, perhaps some
definition or example might be worthwhile,

I think part of the problem is people buy sets for different reasons. I (for
example) would've rated the set you mentioned a 70 because I'd love it for
part selection; though the model itself doesn't really intreuge me to buy
it. I think what we need is several different categories per set to rate:

-Price per piece (0-10)
-Piece selection (0-10)
-Model design (0-10)
-Model functionality (0-10)
-Model appeal (0-10)

Note model appeal referrs to something like "how badly do you want this set
based on what it is, regardless of design/functionality/etc?" For instance,
I wanted a Millenum Falcon. I personally think the price per piece ratio is
bad, the piece selection is ok, the model design is bad, and the
functionality is ok-to-bad. But I still want one, BECAUSE it's a Millenium
Falcon. Similarly, I want a Galaxy Explorer because it's nostalgic; not
because I think it's a great model or anything. AND similarly, someone who
hates, say, the pirate theme, could rate the BSB's appeal a '0', while still
agreeing that it was a good model design, had good pieces, etc. As if to say
"Pirates don't appeal to me, but if they DID, I'd buy this set".

That would probably help people a bit more, since they could fine-tune the
ratings a bit more to reflect what they'd really like. So if you were trying
to decide what to buy, and you shop based on part selection more than
functionality, you can look for sets that rated higher on that front.

Anyway, more ideas for the fire...

DaveE