 General / 39451
Re: Why sets receive a ZERO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:56:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kerry Raymond writes:

In simple terms what this means is that people who consistently over-rate sets
high will have their ratings scaled down, and vice versa. If people are being
stupid (e.g. allocating 100 to all their favourite sets and 0 to every thing
else), the standard deviation will be too large and cause the ratings to be
scaled back to about 70 and 30 respectively.

Before anyone says this is ridiculous, I would point out that here in
Queensland, we operate our tertiary admissions system on this basis. As we do
not have external exams taken by every final year student, each school sets
its own assessment and rates students accordingly. To prevent schools from
over-stating (or under-stating) the abilities of their students, the scores
provided by the schools are adjusted to achieve the mean and standard
deviation applicable to general intelligence tests applied to the same group
of students (these tests are mandatory and standardised across the state). So,
while the students's individual results come from school-based assessment,
these are adjusted to reflect the overall class performance to the state-based
assessment. The general effect of this is that subjects that tend to attract
only the brighter students (e.g. physics) have their results up-rated and that
subjects that tend to attract less-bright students (e.g. social maths) tend to
have their overall results down-rated.

This is off-topic, but I really like the sound of your system.  Here in
Canada, we don't have standardised testing (like the SATs in the US) or any
sort of grade balancing like this.  Grade inflation is rampant.

So a person who submitted all 0-ratings would get scaled back to 50-ratings on
each set (i.e. no impact on the overall means). Similarly any person who
submitted only 100-ratings would get scaled back to 50-ratings as well. This
means that people need to equally willing to rate the sets they like and the
sets they dislike, as otherwise their ratings will be scaled up/down to >produce a more "average" mean.

I only rate sets that I have built, and tend to buy only sets that I know
I'll like.  So, most of my ratings are 70-100.  If a system like this is
implemented, does this mean I'll have to poorly rate some sets that I don't
own if I want the sets I have rated highly to retain the full grade that I
think they deserve?

Jeff J