 General / 39466
Re: Why sets receive a ZERO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:39:52 GMT

I think a revising of the rating might be a good way to go, perhaps you can
have a system where you rate different aspects of the set, say the quality /
quanitity of the parts, the quality of the model, etc. Then average those to
get a final ranking. It might be a good way to balance some of the numbers.

I'm absolutely in favour of separating the ratings for the bricks versus the
model/instructions. How often have you heard someone say "lousy model but great
parts"?

Consider 6087 Witch's Magic Manor which rates on LUGnet at the moment at 45
(from 23 votes), clearly not a big favourite. The general consensus is that the
model is awful but the parts are quite useful. Similarly 7151 Sith Infiltrator
is a not rated highly among Star Wars sets, but everyone loved them as Grey
Plates Pack. Indeed, I wonder how many 10030 Imperial Star Destroyers have been
ordered just to part them out for the grey in them, people are already
prophesising that the price of grey will fall on bricklink as a result of this.

Lets face it. Anyone who buys multiple copies of any set is almost always doing
it for the parts, not the model. And many of us do this, so it would make sense
to have ratings for sets purely for their parts as well as for their models. Of
course, we can probably determine a parts rating for sets already, by comparing
the number of sets owned divided by the number of owners. The bigger the
number, the better it is as a parts pack. For example, the database shows 299
copies of the Guarded Inn owned by 130 people, suggesting people each have
about 2.5 copies of this set. It sounds like its a parts pack, right! Whereas
the Train Ideas book has a ratio of about 1 -- surprise, surprise, there are no
parts in this! Also, the Battrax which rates highly on LUGnet has a ration of
about 1, suggesting it's not a set to buy for its parts but for its model. Then
take a look at the 3033 Big Blue Tub -- again, loads of people have multiple
copies, including someone who claims to have over 700.

Kerry