 Gaming / 226
Re: Pirate Game - who wants to play
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 18:20:07 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:
How long do you want to play (1)

Not sure.  If it's lots of fun I could go for an 12-18 hour stretch with meal
breaks.  I'm willing to commit to 6-8 hours for sure.

The game does allow for people to come and go (if you leave your ship in
port, it's safe, if you aren't around to move your ship, the GM will
move it towards the closest port). If a player needs to make a quick run
(like a bathroom run) and lets me know where their going, we'll wait for
them (or skip their turn and give it to them when they come back).

Sure, as long as it's not bizzarrely complicated.  Does this use a tape
measure, or studs, or what for distance determination?  I have tape measures!

The rules are here (along with other links):

http://www.io.com/~sj/PirateGame.html

Tape measures will be useful, so people should bring them if they have
them.

What else would you like to bring

What do you need?  I could try building a port if you'd give me some rough
sizes to work toward.  I can't guarentee authenticity though :-)

(3) if you want to supply a specialty island, either you should help GM
or we need to figure out how to deal with your knowledge about it, of
course if you want to leave specifics up to the GMs, that's fine also

OK, let's figure it out.  First, how big must an island be for it to really
count?  I'm thinking that those ships are big and it'll have to be fairly
large.  To what degree is the game just a miniatures board-game?  How does it
go beyond that?

Scenic attractions (ports and islands) don't need to be that large. The
16x16 and 32x32 island plates make great stand alone islands (but any
plate can be used, islands can be rectangular). I'm thinking of making a
pirate base on a 96x96 base, but really a port could be of any size (or
could end up just being a space marked with masking tape if necessary
[actually, we'll probably do that anywise to indicate the "safe" area]).
Unless we will have a huge space, islands should tend to be small so
that there is room to sail the ships around.

The game is basically akin to tabletop miniatures games (as opposed to a
board game - the difference between tabletop and board games being that
board games have "squares" or "hexes" or "spaces" whereas tabletop games
use a tape measure to measure distance and unit position is arbitrary).
It is designed more to be fun than for historical accuracy. There is a
"campaign game" which basically adds more depth for longer games. If we
will be playing all day, we'll use the campaign game, for a shorter
game, we'll just run the combat game (with perhaps some embelishments
from the campaign game - I need to familiarize myself with the rules
more).

If you scroll down to the LEGO® WARGAMING section on my Pirate links
page:

   file://localhost/home/ffilz/home/Lego/pirates.html

You'll find a couple links to photo-documentation of two different runs
of the game. From these, you can see that the islands tend to be small
(I don't see anything larger than a 32x32 island). The rules are also
illustrated (wander around Steve's website, there is a fair bit of
information packed in there).

If we go for a long game, I would envision set up Friday
afternoon/evening (if we go for a long day, I'll take Friday off so I

I'm taking Friday off, so I'll be around to help with setup at that time if
that's what we decide.

can get up there by the afternoon) and game all Saturday. If we go with
a shorter game, we could set up Saturday morning and play in the
afternoon. Tear down should probably occur Saturday night but could
occur Sunday morning.

Is the public going to be around, or just the participants (of the brickfest, I
mean)?  If it's going to be a public event, it might be worth setting up ASAP,
and playing during certain timeslots so as to drag it out and leave it set up
as long as possible.  But only if security is satisfactory.

If there is enough interest, I envision setting up Friday, running all
Saturday, with teardown Saturday evening or Sunday morning, with fairly
constant activity while the buildings are open, however, if pretty much
everyone wants to take a break at the same time, we can do that (but
should arrange to have someone be in the room). I'd also be happy to let
someone go make a lunch run for everyone (and if that person is a
player, they would get awarded some victory points for the sacrifice,
and their ship would be safe no matter where it is).

and a hefty islander population (if someone really wants to play
islanders as a real competive position, I would consider coming up with
some ideas to make them more competitive [they just have small ships
without cannon]).

What counts as hefty?  How many would there have to be defending islands to be
a reasonable force?  You mentioned in a previous post that it's primarily
non-fantasy.  How important is that?  Islanders could have tribal magics or
something to get them into the game.

That's what I was thinking of. I may play around a bit with some ideas.
Of course even though they may not have the combat ability to duke it
out with a pirate ship, there is definitely a role playing element to
the game, and therefore possibilities for them.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com