 Gaming / 220
Re: Pirate Game - info about ships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 16:38:18 GMT

Jeff Stembel wrote:

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
Would there be an interest in the Pirate Game also? I'd be willing to
run that (and can provide plenty of ships). That would be another good
round the clock type game.

Hey, if you provide the ships, I'm there. Don't have any of my own, but I'd
love to participate anyhow.

-Shiri

If I get around to building some, I should be able to provide extras as well.
I think around 10-12 ships, more if I use the bow bricks from Town sets...

Jeff

P.S.  Is there any length limit?  I think I could make a five center-hull
lengthed brown boat...

The longest the rules mention is 4 center sections, but I don't think
Steve actually ever runs even those (the ship record sheets online only
go up to 3 center section ships). I think most of the ships Steve runs
in his games are smaller ships.

I think I'll send Steve some e-mails and get a conversation going about
what mix of ships he tends to run.

For people who would like to work on ships, some things to think about
(The following includes some extractions from the rules at
http://www.io.com/~sj/PirateGame1.html )

SHIP CLASSES

Ships and boats are divided into CLASSES, based on size:

      0 - Boat (a canoe, rowboat or sailboat, or longboat)
      1 - Cutter (which, in my own fleet, includes a lot of
      different little ships that are not really "cutters," from
      miniature square-riggers to sloops). A cutter is a small
      custom-built hull. A more precise definition may be needed.
      2 - Brig, or regular ship with no center sections. A brig is a
      larger custom- built hull. Again, a more precise definition is
      needed. Or maybe not.
      3 - Regular ship with 1 center section, or wide ship with no
      center sections.
      4 - Regular ship with 2 center sections, or wide ship with 1
      center section.
      5 - Regular ship with 3 center sections. Center sections
      being hard to come by, these "schooners" are rare.
      6 - Wide ship with 2 center sections.
      7 - Wide ship with 3 center sections.
      8 - Wide ship with 4 center sections.

A ship's class determines:

      (1) How many guns it can carry. The number is equal to its
      class.
      (2) How many hull hits it can take: 10 times its class, with a
      minimum of 1.
      (3) How many rigging hits it can take: 5 times its class, with
      a minimum of 1.
      (4) whether there is a bonus or penalty to hit it with cannon
      fire.
      (5) starting crew (6 per class)

Per Steve's communications, every ship has at least one rotating cannon
mounted on the deck or so. Larger ships have 2-3 rotators. The maximum
number of broadside cannon (firing through a gun port) is 5 (to get 5
broadside cannon on my red/white/dk grey modified BSB, I had to put a
cannon in the captain's cabin - this cannon can also fire out the
stern).

I would suggest the following for numbers of rotating cannon (note the
overlap in class ranges):

1 rotator on class 1-4
2 rotators on class 4-7
3 rotator on class 7-8

In general, rotating cannon are more flexible (though there may be
situations where a similarly placed broadside cannon could be brought to
bear when a rotator can't since a full broadside may be fired at any
target that at least one of the broadside cannon can hit).

Broadside cannon may be moved from side to side. The rules aren't clear
on if this takes time or not. I need to clear up a few issues like that
with Steve.

We will also need some merchant ships, which generally will be smaller.
Many of these will be cutters. I talked with Steve once about making
custom built class 3 ships, and he said that it would be reasonable to
make those with the 10 wide hull sections (make a 10 wide ship which is
a little longer than a 12 wide ship with 1 center section). Brigs should
be similarly sized to a 12 wide ship with no center sections (6268,
6250), these should be wider than 6 wide (Steve uses inverse slopes to
widen a 6 wide hull to 8 wide). Short 10 wide ships would be reasonable
for brigs also.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com