 Gaming / 224
Re: Pirate Game - who wants to play
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 17:06:01 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:

Name

Christopher Weeks

How long do you want to play (1)

Not sure.  If it's lots of fun I could go for an 12-18 hour stretch with meal
breaks.  I'm willing to commit to 6-8 hours for sure.

Have you played before

Nope.

Are you willing to help GM (2)

Sure, as long as it's not bizzarrely complicated.  Does this use a tape
measure, or studs, or what for distance determination?  I have tape measures!

What ships would you like to bring

None.

Do you want to supply some islands (3)

I could.

What else would you like to bring

What do you need?  I could try building a port if you'd give me some rough
sizes to work toward.  I can't guarentee authenticity though :-)

(3) if you want to supply a specialty island, either you should help GM
or we need to figure out how to deal with your knowledge about it, of
course if you want to leave specifics up to the GMs, that's fine also

OK, let's figure it out.  First, how big must an island be for it to really
count?  I'm thinking that those ships are big and it'll have to be fairly
large.  To what degree is the game just a miniatures board-game?  How does it
go beyond that?

If we go for a long game, I would envision set up Friday
afternoon/evening (if we go for a long day, I'll take Friday off so I

I'm taking Friday off, so I'll be around to help with setup at that time if
that's what we decide.

can get up there by the afternoon) and game all Saturday. If we go with
a shorter game, we could set up Saturday morning and play in the
afternoon. Tear down should probably occur Saturday night but could
occur Sunday morning.

Is the public going to be around, or just the participants (of the brickfest, I
mean)?  If it's going to be a public event, it might be worth setting up ASAP,
and playing during certain timeslots so as to drag it out and leave it set up
as long as possible.  But only if security is satisfactory.

we will need a port or two or three if
anyone wants to build them (they can also just be designated areas, but
I have an idea for a pirate base which I may build).

See above.

Unless we have a huge game, I reccomend that we use just my minifigs,
treasure, and possibly even cannon (though we can use cotton tufts to

Good for me.  Your collection wildly dwarfs mine.

and a hefty islander population (if someone really wants to play
islanders as a real competive position, I would consider coming up with
some ideas to make them more competitive [they just have small ships
without cannon]).

What counts as hefty?  How many would there have to be defending islands to be
a reasonable force?  You mentioned in a previous post that it's primarily
non-fantasy.  How important is that?  Islanders could have tribal magics or
something to get them into the game.

Chris