 Gaming / 201
Re: big brikwars game...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 16:46:31 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
...We were going to do some Brikwars at the East Coast Brikfest (june
9-11, join lugnet.org.us.wamalug for info), Jeff proposed a 'round the
clock/continuous game' kind of thing. So I'm posting my initial ideas
for how to structure this thing to get feedback/ideas from youse guys.

You've got to watch out, a game like this is going to get bogged down by
inexperienced players fielding bigger armies than they can handle.  What you
might want to do is set a 20-30 minute time limit on each player's turn - this
will serve to limit the effective size of individual armies and to keep the
game moving at faster than a snail's pace.

Another thing that will help is if you have two non-player administrative
types.

The most experienced person handy should be the game master, who would make
rapid judgment calls whenever something was ambiguous (such as deciding
whether a proposed Stupendous Feat is legal, deciding whether a warhorse would
really behave in a certain way, etc.), make up new rules when necessary, help
new players who aren't familiar with the rules to play without being at too
severe a disadvantage, and keep everything moving smoothly.  He must also
decide when a player's army is inappropriately large (whether because there
aren't enough opposing forces on the field, the battlefield is not big enough,
or due to the player's perceived inexperience).  Pronouncements of the GM are
instant and binding, and he is allowed to be completely wrong as often as he
wants as long as it keeps the game moving and fun for everybody.

The second admin should be a lowly production assistant, whose main job is to
act as a full-time scorekeeper and timekeeper(and thereby keep the GM and
players free for more important things).  The PA would also be in charge of
looking up rules in the rulebook, taking secretarial notes of game highlights
so you don't forget them later in case you want to do a write-up or web page,
and doing any other menial tasks to take care of the needs of the GM and
players (such as getting food and drinks).

If you're going to be doing this round-the-clock for a couple days, you're
going to need to have a couple of GMs and PAs in rotation.  You might also
need a way to handle players leaving the game when they still have armies on
the field, and how new players will enter the field mid-battle.

...They'd have an overwhelming advantage, but specially if we use the
divide by points fielded idea, they still wouldn't necessarily come out
best. And if we have several target areas spread out by 30", if the
player with 200 pts wanted to take more than 1, theyd have to spread
out, making them an easier target if another player concentrated.

Since you are having players coming in and out of the game, a player who put
in a 200-point army when there were only two 100-point opponents would have a
much bigger advantage than if he entered the game when there were three 300-
point opponents.  So maybe you have to keep track of the ratio of individual
CP to battlefield CP as well.  Seems like it'd be a lot of work though.

- Mike Rayhawk.

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm