 Ambassadors / 47
Re: Your LEGO Dream Set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 04:50:39 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
   What would be your LEGO Dream Set? Before you reply, please consider the following: Your dream set...

...would have to appeal to both AFOLs and Children, worldwide.

...would have to be profitable for The LEGO Group to produce.

...would be sold primarily through the Shop at Home website, as well as in LEGO Brand stores.

My gut reaction to this question was one word - “monorail!” But I imagine anything involving the design of new pieces (or re-design of obsolete parts) would fail the “profitable” test.

So I guess I would like to see comprehensive, single-color bulk packs, which would include multiples of every basic brick and plate size from 1x1 up to 2x8. For example, the Statue of Liberty set contained enough variety of brick that, if it were available in other colors I’d buy one in every color. (Well, maybe one in almost every color.)

Overall, the per-brick price of that set was very good (~1300 pieces for $200 USD, IIRC) although a smaller piece count & retail price would obviously place it in reach of more buyers.

I think the current bulk options are a major step in the right direction, especially with the new legofactory.com pick-a-brick feature, but it is still nearly impossible to get a good variety of brick shapes in bulk. (Same problem that the bulk tubs have always had in the past.) After all, what good is an infinite number of 1x4s if you don’t have a few 1x2’s and 1x3’s to use at the edges?