 Administrative / General / 6328
Re: Creating Lugent Rating Criteria
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:27:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
First way:  If two people like a message a lot (and, say, each mark it 100),
then it has a lower composite score than, say, several dozen people all
marking it 100.  This is because of the automatic softener-vote[1] by the

Yes, I understand that, but what about two people liking a message a lot vs.
several dozen saying that it's mediocre? Those are quite different.

Two people liking a message a lot would have a composite score of 60 to 70.
Several dozen saying that it's mediocre would have a composite score of 0 to
30, depending on how you define "mediocre."  A low score with a lot of input
shows up dark (far away from red and far away from pale gray) if it even shows
at all.

We need to get rid of the "having been marked down" stigma...even if it loses
functionality for those who have tough enough constitutions to weather any
perceived feedback.  It seems from the input here today and yesterday that
it's far better (overall -- from a community-wide standpoint) not to be able
to mark something as mediocre or worthless, than to be able to do so at the
risk of hurting someone's feelings.

Second way:  The coloring of the rating symbols is two-dimensional.  Its

Ah. Yes, that's much better.

It was like this before, but with the change of the default from 50 to 0, it
was possible to make the "starting" color pure white rather than mid-gray --
that helps make the gradations much more visible.  I'm happy to see some of
the marks now showing up only _very_ faintly.

(Does MS Win still only use 20 colors for text, or can you use anything
now?)

Dunno.  Only about 5 or 6 are really needed anyway.

words, the color saturation is how seriously to take the rating.  It's
subtle, but it's like that on purpose so that, basically, the more red you
see, the more your eye is drawn to it.  (Red, biologically, has the
strongest draw of all colors, for non-colorblind humans.)

Red also has connotations of "Warning", "Stop", and "Negative", doesn't it?

Depending on the culture and, more importantly, the context, yes.  But I
believe that in all cultures which use printed or visual materials, red is
an attention-getter (because it's hard-wired into our biology) -- and that's
the purpose here -- to bring attention.

--Todd