 Administrative / General / 6329
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:31:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Yeah, I agree that "+" has connotations of "better". But I think the "!"
seems to have a "Warning" feeling to it, especially in red. (It's a typical
icon in warning error message dialog boxes, for example.) That doesn't mean
it's necessarily a bad choice -- maybe it's just me. If it weren't for the
space issue, I'd pick "*".

Welp, space isn't really _that_ much of an issue compared to the symbol itself.
All things being equal, a thinner character is better than a big fat character
like "+".  Let's see what people think about "!" after seeing it for a little
while...I seem to remember visiting a discussion group site once which used a
small orange "!" image to mark something that was important -- it didn't seem
to me like a "don't read this!" but obviously a "read this!".

(Anyone else reading this -- if you think "!" is a terrible choice or have
another suggestion, please let us know!  We can certainly try out "*" if "!"
sends the wrong impression.)

--Todd