 Administrative / General / 6306
Re: Creating Lugent Rating Criteria
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:05:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori writes:
Yes, that's a point I hadn't thought of. Hmm. Since having the off-topic
score is really important to this whole concept, it might have to be kept
seperately for each group the message was posted in. Yuck. (But that's also
a problem with the current system.)

Well, I'm no computer whiz but it doesn't seem like it'd too hard. After all,
on the page after you post there are links to every group you posted in, and
those are created on the fly, isn't that so? ...so how hard is it to create
the o-t part of the rating on the fly, with a checkbox next to each group?
(I'm not trying to be annoying, I'm really asking how hard is it.)

the problem I think isn't in generating the page, but in storing the
information.  Right now, each message has only one set of ratings to keep track
of... kinda like one rating file per message.  But if you have to keep track of
the rating in each group, you end up with one file per group per message.  Not
impossible to do, just not "clean". :/  Dunno what other way there is to do
though.

<snip>

I usually only rate 100s as well. And it seems like a lot of people do that.
I've seen so many posts that are slowly climbing to the maximum possible for
that number of ratings (meaning they only get 100 scores). So why not just
make it an "all or nothing" rating? Either it's newsworthy or it's not, either
off-topic or not. No need to say by how much it's off topic, or how newsworthy
it is; that can be decided by how many people rate it.

Yes, I think since we're hopeing for a large number or raters, this would be a
good way to go.

:)

Dan