 Administrative / General / 6304
Re: Creating Lugent Rating Criteria
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:47:47 GMT

Richard Franks <spontificus@yahoo.com> wrote:
It does have some benefits - how would the "off-topic" button work though if
the message was cross-posted, and assuming that it wasn't off-topic in every
group? Also - that is a problem with any cross-posted message - it might be
great in one group, but not in another - there are quite a few examples of this
already!

Yes, that's a point I hadn't thought of. Hmm. Since having the off-topic
score is really important to this whole concept, it might have to be kept
seperately for each group the message was posted in. Yuck. (But that's also
a problem with the current system.)

Also - if you like the message, do you rate it? Or do you only rate messages
that you REALLY REALLY like? This one might actually work itself out - not
everybody will rate the latest pirate jungle, but a lot more people will rate
the latest news from LD, thereby giving it greater prominance. But it is
perhaps best not to assume that it would work that way, eithout further
consideration?

Oh, I think that's exactly how it'll work out. Additional points:

- having to put less thought into weighing exactly how much each message
   is "worth" makes the process less tedious, and therefore something more
   people are more likely to do.
- with the current system a there's not much of a way to tell the
   difference between a message two people liked a lot and one 100 people
   liked a little bit.
- I actually think that a large number of people wouldn't make use of the
   scale anyway. Since scoring articles means going out of my way, I only
   bother to do it if I think it's something people _really_ should see and
   I rate it 100.

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/