 Administrative / General / 6305
Re: Creating Lugent Rating Criteria
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:00:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Richard Franks <spontificus@yahoo.com> wrote:
It does have some benefits - how would the "off-topic" button work though if
the message was cross-posted, and assuming that it wasn't off-topic in every
group? Also - that is a problem with any cross-posted message - it might be
great in one group, but not in another - there are quite a few examples of • this
already!

Yes, that's a point I hadn't thought of. Hmm. Since having the off-topic
score is really important to this whole concept, it might have to be kept
seperately for each group the message was posted in. Yuck. (But that's also
a problem with the current system.)

Well, I'm no computer whiz but it doesn't seem like it'd too hard. After all,
on the page after you post there are links to every group you posted in, and
those are created on the fly, isn't that so? ...so how hard is it to create
the o-t part of the rating on the fly, with a checkbox next to each group?
(I'm not trying to be annoying, I'm really asking how hard is it.)

Also - if you like the message, do you rate it? Or do you only rate messages
that you REALLY REALLY like? This one might actually work itself out - not
everybody will rate the latest pirate jungle, but a lot more people will rate
the latest news from LD, thereby giving it greater prominance. But it is
perhaps best not to assume that it would work that way, eithout further
consideration?

I agree with Matthew - that's definitely how it'd work out. I don't see any
other aspects that could come up.

- having to put less thought into weighing exactly how much each message
  is "worth" makes the process less tedious, and therefore something more
  people are more likely to do.

Right!

- with the current system a there's not much of a way to tell the
  difference between a message two people liked a lot and one 100 people
  liked a little bit.
- I actually think that a large number of people wouldn't make use of the
  scale anyway. Since scoring articles means going out of my way, I only
  bother to do it if I think it's something people _really_ should see and
  I rate it 100.

I usually only rate 100s as well. And it seems like a lot of people do that.
I've seen so many posts that are slowly climbing to the maximum possible for
that number of ratings (meaning they only get 100 scores). So why not just
make it an "all or nothing" rating? Either it's newsworthy or it's not, either
off-topic or not. No need to say by how much it's off topic, or how newsworthy
it is; that can be decided by how many people rate it.