 Administrative / General / 6316
Re: Creating Lugent Rating Criteria
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:27:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
[...]
- with the current system a there's not much of a way to tell the
   difference between a message two people liked a lot and one 100 people
   liked a little bit.
[...]

There are two ways, currently -- but they're designed to work without getting
in the way (rather than to be obvious).

First way:  If two people like a message a lot (and, say, each mark it 100),
then it has a lower composite score than, say, several dozen people all
marking it 100.  This is because of the automatic softener-vote[1] by the
server.  As an example, let's say the automatic vote is 0/100 rather than
50/100.  Two votes of 100 gives (0+100+100)/3 = 67.  Twenty votes of 100
gives (0+100*20)/21 = 95.  On a 1-to-5 or 1-to-4 "star" scale, 67 maps to
fewer "stars" than 95.

Second way:  The coloring of the rating symbols is two-dimensional.  Its input
is (a) the composite rating (the average, including the softener) and (b) the
total number of human votes.  The composite rating translates into a color-
brightness from black to red, and the number of votes translates into
a saturation level from gray to the color-brightness.  Thus, two votes of 100
looks reddish-grayish and twenty votes of 100 looks very bright red.  In other
words, the color saturation is how seriously to take the rating.  It's subtle,
but it's like that on purpose so that, basically, the more red you see, the
more your eye is drawn to it.  (Red, biologically, has the strongest draw of
all colors, for non-colorblind humans.)

--Todd

[1] http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=4854
    http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5487