 Administrative / General / 6292
6291  |  6293
Subject:
Creating Lugent Rating Criteria
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 07:56:35 GMT

It is clear from the debate raging further down the group (as NNTP
newsreaders see it :) ) that one of the fundamental flaws with ratings at
the moment is that there is no criteria for ratings posts.  This in turn
means that the ratings themselves mean nothing at present.  Therefore I hope
to start a debate that will hammer out the criteria on which messages are
rated and hopefully reduce acrimony among some members of Lugnet.

I have proposed that posts should be separately rated on TWO criteria,
although admittedly they are at present too general to be of any use to
anybody.

1 - The relevancy of the post to the message commencing the thread. This
would enable background noise to be filtered out in lengthy debates and also
to indicate when a thread is starting to move off-topic and should be
re-housed to another area of Lugnet.  However, one cannot rate the relevancy
of the post commencing a thread as this would mean one would be rating the
relevancy of a message to itself :)  I have named this the 'Relevancy
Rating' (I'm not good at originality)

2 - The quality of the concepts/ideas expressed within the posts.  This is
more far-reaching than point one as it enables one to draw attention to the
more interesting posts.  For example, down in the middle of a thread about
train chassis design someone may mention a brilliant idea for train
superstructure design but because of the relevancy rating it disappears into
the murky depths of Lugnet.  With the 'Quality Rating' (as I have christened
it) it would come to the surface to be seen by all as an interesting post in
its own write, independent of its relevancy.

Thus, when one looks at the message in the web interface it has TWO ratings
at the top.  One, its 'Relevancy' and two, its 'Quality'.

I hope that these ideas get the ball rolling in creating criteria that
results in a meaningful and useful ratings system.

Nicholas Allan