 Administrative / General / 6349
Re: Decisions (Was: Re: Creating Lugent Rating Criteria)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 03:24:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:

what if there was a group .admin.server to discuss and test new features?
That way, we'll move this traffic from .admin.general, (since I agree that it
doesn't really belong here), and have a playground to test new things, without
affecting the casual user...

I think something like admin.server would be useful, at the moment normal
admin.general traffic is getting drowned. Maybe admin.playground would convey
the testing-ground message?

In this case, the rating system would have been
tested only in that group, before being released to all of lugnet...

At the moment, members have cookies that tell LUGNET to munge up a slightly
different version of the interface (ie the rating options). If there was a pool
of volunteer-testers then these testers could have cookies too to let them try
out new features - they wouldn't actually have to use a different server - and
they could still fully participate in LUGNET, just seeing a different version
of the web-interface.

The best thing would be that you could make whatever changes you wanted, but
only the testers would see them.. and the testers wouldn't cause a fuss as they
had signed up because they wanted to help - no casual LUGNET users would get
burned.

If this post has any salient points (it is 4am+), then I'd happily be a
volunteer tester.

Richard