 Administrative / General / 6291
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 07:18:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Todd Lehman wrote:

Specific personal questions:

2.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed ever to anyone but collected and used by the server only
for internal calculations, hotlist generation, and personal recommendations
to you?

This is the best option I think, at least better than the option below
(which I was thinking as the best, until reading your message). It
doesn't included the feeling of "elitism is at the front door" by
satisfying an automated "top n list" feature at the same time.

3.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the ratings were not even
collected and collated in the first place?  (i.e. the destruction of the
feature altogether)

4.  Have you ever felt victimized by the rating system?  Have you posted
something which has obtained a low rating and felt uncomfortable or unhappy
about yourself or about LUGNET because of the low rating?  How often?

Actually, before I read your opinion request, I didn't care about
ratings of my posts (I use NNTP) so I checked the ratings of my posts
several minutes ago for first time. It's very interesting that my
highest rated post is the one in which I expressed my dislike about
rating system..:-) I won't hurt in anyway by seeing my posts are rated
low,. but this doesn't  mean that (in anyway) I feel comfortable about
the procedure. Lugnet is not an academic place where participants
supposed to present scientific assays or defend their master thesis to
an academic council, IMHO. I visit Lugnet in my SPARE TIME, and it's an
integral part of my HOBBY, which is obviously a SPARE TIME activity by
nature, of which the purpose is nothing but FUN and RELAXING. I can
explain further but I'm sure you get what my point is.

9.  What other areas (besides news articles) can you imagine that a
collaborative ratings system would be most helpful to you?  LEGO sets?
Websites?  Individual web pages?  etc...

Lego Set? Why not..:-)

Web sites? Yeah, may be. Web sites and news group posts are very
different in nature and I think former is very suitable for rating,
while the latter is no need to be rated (besides being not suitable),
especially in the Lugnet case, where signal to noise ratio is very very
low, or noise is organized in a way that never bothers not interested
people. Actually, don't we rate web pages already? Your CLSoTW elections
made primarily on "rating" basis, AFAIK.

Selçuk