 Administrative / General / 6290
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 07:05:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

  SYMBOL  NEW   OLD
    ++++   4   80-100
     +++   3   60-79
      ++   2   40-59
       +   1   20-39
           0    0-19

...and in either case with 0 as the default rather than 1 (or 20 internally).
0 (blank) just seems so much easier to start with and explain than partway
up the range.  This way, also, nothing could _ever_ get a negative rating --
The worst that could happen to something is that it didn't have any symbol
shown next to it.

This looks like a much better rating system.  And I agree that any given
article shouldn't be given a negative rating without further explanation.  If
someone continuously receives negative ratings for their posts, they might
take it as their posts are not wanted and might cause them to stop posting at
all.  In your old rating system, I assume anything less than 50 is a negative
meaning there is something wrong with the post.  If there is anything wrong,
please explain further by leaving a reply instead of leaving a rating.
Leaving a low rating won't explain to the original poster what is wrong with
the article.  Since the old rating was done anonymously, people might leave a
low rating for any reason even just because they don't like the original
poster.
On a side note I noticed that before the rating system was implemented I used
to scroll through at least 2-3 pages (by clicking on "show 100 more") of new
posts every morning and after the rating system was implemented, the number of
posts died down to a little more than 1 page.
Way back I thought about rating all links that I have on my page (almost 500
of them) but quickly discarded the idea since giving a lower rating than the
maximum to anybody will be like sending them a message that their "product" is
not good enough.  This rating system would have done more harm than good.
And finally, the whole reason for having a rating system is to show the most
interesting articles?  I thought that the purpose of having a Spotlight
section was to do this.

D.