 Trains / 30171
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:04:38 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I know it probably won't be an
issue
right away since most people will probably stick with mainly 9V for the
time
being.  But at some point...it will be an issue.

-Dave

I agree that IR is not ideal for all the reasons previously listed.  I
hope WiFi
is a consideration for a later release.  Line of site controlers just are
not
practical for large layouts but I would guess we will find a way to
manage.  The
limited frequencies/channels are also a concern.

I am sure we will find a way to adjust even if it causes pain initially.

-Eric

4 - 5 years ago when Steve B., Huw M., HoMA, and I were asked to comment on
the forthing coming RC train we had a conversation with the LEGO technical
people about our IR concerns.  IR is cheap, cheap, cheap.  We had suggested
BlueTooth at the time but LEGO felt the cost was too high.  At that time BT
was fairly new but was broadly available in cell phones.  It would be really
cheap now compared to 4-5 years ago.  It might be a reasonable compromise if
there is still time to get it into the design, which I suspect it isn't
since it is likely already committed to production.  LEGO already uses BT
with the NXT so they have experience already.

Mike

--
Mike Walsh -- mike underscore walsh at mindspring dot com