 Trains / 30151
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:46:51 GMT

For trains the Pf system does NOT require constant communication between the IR
receiver and remote.  And really how often do you control your trains at a train
show. Currently most of us have only one train on a loop at a time at train
shows, so you set the speed and forget about it.  Occasionally you change trains
or whatever and the IR system is adequate for that occasional use. So line of
site isn't really that big of a deal.

As for battery life... there are so many factors all related to drag; design of
layout, "S" curves etc... distance between wheels, good v. bad wheel sets,
weight of cars, number of cars... I think that we should define a test standard
track plan and train and then measure that with the "AA"'s Alkaline v. NiCad v.
Lithium v. Lithium polymer v.????

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I know it probably won't be an issue
right away since most people will probably stick with mainly 9V for the time
being.  But at some point...it will be an issue.

-Dave

I agree that IR is not ideal for all the reasons previously listed.  I hope WiFi
is a consideration for a later release.  Line of site controlers just are not
practical for large layouts but I would guess we will find a way to manage.  The
limited frequencies/channels are also a concern.

I am sure we will find a way to adjust even if it causes pain initially.

-Eric