 Trains / 30148
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:32:05 GMT

Metal rails and metal wheels is a good solution. :)  Those burned out motors
turn out to be a great way to pickup power from rails (when properly modified)
that can be rerouted to the battery box charging port. BTW there is some talk
about the Pf battery having some functionality in it that could...

1) if power is available on the batt box charging port
AND
2) if the charge of the battery is below a "low water" mark
THEN
3) cut power leading out of the batt box (and remember the power setting)
WAIT UNTIL
4) the battery charge is above a "high water" mark
THEN
5) allow power leading out of the batt box at last know power leveel

if you guys think this is a good idea please post here... they are reading it!
And I'll remind them too.

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz wrote:
Rob Hendrix wrote:
We could connect linear contacts of undetermined length to a wall
transformer and put them inside the rails.  Then, the train with the
battery could have something plugged into its charging jack that
would run along these contacts to charge the battery everytime it
went around the loop...
I may not have thought of that before someone else (I didn't check),
but I like it!

It's been talked about before.

The old 12v components might work here. From the 1970s era 12v, there is a
brick with metal stud contacts that could be used for the pickup from the
12v power rails.

Frank