 Trains / 30144
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:24:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Gray wrote:

It occurred to me that a WiFi system could work nicely. It could have greater range,
reaching 50 feet or more even through big piles of Lego. If the system were designed
so that it had 10 "domains" of 10 channels each, it could even work well at a big
Lego train show - allowing up to 10 layouts of 10 trains each. In the next couple of
years, I think the cost of using WiFi will be minimal, so perhaps we should all lobby
Lego to switch to WiFi in a couple of years. If the power functions system ends up
modular enough, this could be done as special-order items on Shop@Home that are not
normally included in train sets. Or, it could be custom-built stuff.

-Chris Gray (NALUG)

I was thinking of switching to radio control. From what I've read regarding IR
systems, it should be straight forward to to modify LEGO IR transmitters and
receivers to work with small radio modules. Converting them to transmit the
unmodulated data pulses over RF as well as/or instead of over 40Khz IR. Either
way the original LEGO controller or RCX/NXT is used to generate the control
pulses. And a LEGO IR receive is needed to decode the control pulses. And the
modified devices are still compatible with unmodified IR devices.

<http://www.futurlec.com/Radio.shtml>

Connecting the radio receiver to an IR receiver will require a diode and voltage
regulator. Connecting the RF transmitter to the IR controller will require a
40Khz IR detector. To save some battery life on the transmitter, a data signal
inversion at each end should be used.

Or build IR some repeaters controlled by a radio modified controller. That way
none of the train receivers need be modified.

Of course this will only make the 4 channel limit issue even worse if several
clubs are doing this and use the same frequency. I guess I could experiment
using the current IR train controller.

Mat Clayson