 Trains / 30134
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 02:25:54 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
BTW the batt box is 4 bricks high, not studs.
SteveB

Thats funny, I read it as 4 bricks.  I didn't even notice the 4 studs
until you
pointed it out.  I have to say I am intrigued.  The battery box seems to
be a
decent compromise.  I would have prefered it either a couple of studs
narrower
or a couple shorter but I am sure we will find ways to build it into our
engines.

I found the real news in this release was the battery box.  What I am
waiting to
hear is some real tests in terms of battery life before a charge is needed
and
how long it takes to charge.  (How many batteries are we going to need to
do a
show without having a long period waiting on batteries).

Ideally I want a battery that can pull a standard 6 wide train with 10
average
cars for at least an hour and a recharge time of less than an hour**.  If
we get
that minimum standard or more I will make the switch.  If not I may be
stuck
nursing my old 9v stuff for the foreseeable future.  The only concern I
guess I
have is for folks that run long term displays that run on a flip switch.
can't see any battery operation working in that case.  NELUG doesn't do
that so
I am more flexible at the moment.

I fully trust that those AFOL's involved in to process expressed all our
desires
and concerns so now it is just waiting to get a set and try it out.

-Eric

** The recharge time might be wishful thinking so I have more flexibility
in
that regard.

You (or I, or someone) could always make some track charging station with a
little engine-uity [that could]...

We could connect linear contacts of undetermined length to a wall
transformer and put them inside the rails.  Then, the train with the battery
could have something plugged into its charging jack that would run along
these contacts to charge the battery everytime it went around the loop...

I may not have thought of that before someone else (I didn't check), but I
like it!

-Rob
www.lifelites.com