 Trains / 30142
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:17:11 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I know it probably won't be an issue
right away since most people will probably stick with mainly 9V for the time
being.  But at some point...it will be an issue.

-Dave

I agree that IR is not ideal for all the reasons previously listed.  I hope WiFi
is a consideration for a later release.  Line of site controlers just are not
practical for large layouts but I would guess we will find a way to manage.  The
limited frequencies/channels are also a concern.

I am sure we will find a way to adjust even if it causes pain initially.

The nice thing is that the IRLink is a module by itself and there
is nothing preventing LEGO from making a module that accepts radio
signals in the future.

Probably, I'd end up suggesting Bluetooth or Zigbee over Wifi, or even
a proprietary solution like the old Cybermaster, but that's more
FCC work than you can imagine...

Ralph