 Trains / 30145
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 03:56:36 GMT

I agree that the lack of traction is still one of the biggest hindrances to the
new system.  My latest trains (to be revealed at BrickWorld) have eight of the
new RC-type wheels that are all powered, yet they barely get any traction!

Has anyone tried to rubberize these wheels?  Black RTV maybe?  Silicon Glue?

Anyway, I agree that Bluetooth is the way to go.  Its cheap, has built in
security, high number of channels, and offers high data rates at a cheap price.
Nearly all modern electronics have this convenient method of RF communication.
(It would also be nice to have a laptop controlling the trains with some form of
location awareness transmitted from them)

I remember someone posting a while back that the IR receiver has some built-in
continuance if the signal is lost.  I think it was in one of the decoding the IR
signal posts.  Still, only four channels is going to be a big problem at shows!

Scott