 Trains / 30133
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 02:19:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
BTW the batt box is 4 bricks high, not studs.
SteveB

Thats funny, I read it as 4 bricks.  I didn't even notice the 4 studs until you
pointed it out.  I have to say I am intrigued.  The battery box seems to be a
decent compromise.  I would have prefered it either a couple of studs narrower
or a couple shorter but I am sure we will find ways to build it into our
engines.

I found the real news in this release was the battery box.  What I am waiting to
hear is some real tests in terms of battery life before a charge is needed and
how long it takes to charge.  (How many batteries are we going to need to do a
show without having a long period waiting on batteries).

Ideally I want a battery that can pull a standard 6 wide train with 10 average
cars for at least an hour and a recharge time of less than an hour**.  If we get
that minimum standard or more I will make the switch.  If not I may be stuck
nursing my old 9v stuff for the foreseeable future.  The only concern I guess I
have is for folks that run long term displays that run on a flip switch.  I
can't see any battery operation working in that case.  NELUG doesn't do that so
I am more flexible at the moment.

I fully trust that those AFOL's involved in to process expressed all our desires
and concerns so now it is just waiting to get a set and try it out.

-Eric

** The recharge time might be wishful thinking so I have more flexibility in
that regard.