 Trains / 30166
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:21:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
Metal rails and metal wheels is a good solution. :)  Those burned out motors
turn out to be a great way to pickup power from rails (when properly modified)
that can be rerouted to the battery box charging port. BTW there is some talk
about the Pf battery having some functionality in it that could...

1) if power is available on the batt box charging port
AND
2) if the charge of the battery is below a "low water" mark
THEN
3) cut power leading out of the batt box (and remember the power setting)
WAIT UNTIL
4) the battery charge is above a "high water" mark
THEN
5) allow power leading out of the batt box at last know power leveel

if you guys think this is a good idea please post here... they are reading it!
And I'll remind them too.

SteveB

I'm intrigued by this.  I did a similar experiment using a 8.4v NiCad Battery
and a monorail train. Whenever the train was stopped at the station, some metal
brushes would contact between the the battery and track side connections. Thus
charging the battery while the train was parked.

What voltages are we talking about here? I believe Li-Poly cells are 3.6v each.
So 2 cells in series is 7.2V and 3 cells is 10.8v.

10.8v would be great for covering the losses from the receiver motor
controller, but you'd loose 33% current storage compared to a 7.2v battery of
the same size. Also this couldn't be charged from a 9v supply, but it could be
from the standard 12vAC transformer, with the appropriate circuit.

7.2v could be charged from a 9v supply, and have better current density. But it
may not have enough punch to run a high speed train or a heavy one.

Mat Clayson