 Trains / 30147
Re: New Press Release about Power Function Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:57:23 GMT

Scott Wardlaw wrote:
I agree that the lack of traction is still one of the biggest hindrances to the
new system.  My latest trains (to be revealed at BrickWorld) have eight of the
new RC-type wheels that are all powered, yet they barely get any traction!

Has anyone tried to rubberize these wheels?  Black RTV maybe?  Silicon Glue?

Anyway, I agree that Bluetooth is the way to go.  Its cheap, has built in
security, high number of channels, and offers high data rates at a cheap price.
Nearly all modern electronics have this convenient method of RF communication.
(It would also be nice to have a laptop controlling the trains with some form of
location awareness transmitted from them)
The problem with Bluetooth, WiFi, Wireless USB and any other kind of radio
frequency transmission would be the horsepower requirements required to
decode it (i.e. microprocessor or custom ASIC both of which require extra
circuitry to make them work). Plus, all those kinds of wireless
communications will need approval from the FCC and the other similar
organizations in other countries TLG sells product in. This takes time and
money and may require different versions of the modules (e.g. with
different frequency settings) for different countries depending on national
laws.