 Trains / 15882
Re: The Free Super Chiefs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:19:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Todd Thuma writes:
<snipped long and well-written post>

United States postal regulations say that if someone sends you something
that you don't order, they cannot ask you to pay for, or return, that item.
This makes a lot of sense if you think about it.  I can't mail you
something, then charge you for it.  What if I sent you a postcard, then sent
you a bill for $1000 for it?  Would you pay?  Of course not!!

If LEGO used the post office to deliver this package, the three extra 10020s
are theirs for the keeping.  If they were delivered UPS or some other
method, LEGO *might* have a case to ask for their return or payment.

I still believe the three extra sets were a result of an error on LEGO's
part, not due to any sort of cheating/lying/misrepresenting on the part of
the customer.  LEGO messed up - hey, they're not *perfect* - they shouldn't
expect the extra sets back.

Now if the customer decided to pay LEGO for them, or return them - then I
would salute them.

Full discloser:  I originally ordered 5 Super Chiefs, which I opened.  I
later ordered 1 more, which I received last week.  And this week I ordered 2
more -- I haven't heard anything from Shop@Home, so I'm expecting to receive
them soon.  Am I "cheating the system"?  I don't think so - I'm buying a set
that I think is pretty cool, and that *might* be worth something someday,
although I doubt I'll sell them!  :-)

JohnG, GMLTC
(and no, I am not a laywer...)