 Off-Topic / Debate / 15972
Re: The Free Super Chiefs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:47:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
In lugnet.trains, Jeremy Scott writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:

Wow you must be so proud of your dad, he's taught you all kind of good
lessons today. First how to try and get around the system, how to make
threats to get your way and how to steal. "Gee dad you're the best"

jt

----------------
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
http://www.ngltc.org

Hey now, that is really not fair.  A: Everyone tries to get around the
system at some time. If you want/need 4 soda bottles but the limit is two,
don't you just go to another checkot with the others???

No I would not, I would assume the limit was set in place for a reason, even
if I didn't like it. It's their store and they can set any limits they want,
I don't have to shop there.

In the first place,
it is not fair that the first quality set lego has made in years is limited
to three per household.

Fair?! Nice way to rationalize. Maybe they realize that some people are
trying to buy these trains up just for resale and want to allow a "fair"
distribution of them.

B: "Just to spite you" is not a threat. This is
just a statement that illistrates to the guy that we will get our extra
three any way.  C: How is the fact that TLC screwed up and sent us three
without charge, us stealing?  If you got anything from LSAH for free, you
would keep it and I will sure bet that a similar message from you would be
on these newsgroups.

Oh so wrong, I would notify LD (and have done so in the past) of their error
and offer to return the product.

I'm sorry if my _original_ message offended you, but yours accused me and my
Dad as being bad people and that offended me.

I read the story thinking of how ashamed I would be if my son was bragging
of how his dad "beat the system" and ended up getting something he didn't
pay for at the error of someone else.

jt

I had originally indended to post this following the first reply, but my
e-mail server was down and by the time it was back up, two others had
replied, so i deleted my authentication.  But I see that this is going to
continue ;), so i'll jump in here, with my original message.

That's a little harsh against Jeremy, James!  Not even a little <wink!>

'Gee James, you laid the smackdown on that little kid pretty good!  Don't
you feel proud of yourself?'

Who here wouldn't call up their friends and/or relatives and say, 'Could you
order these SC's 'cause I can only order 3 and I wouldn't mind a few more.'

Sure, the slippery slope says you could get 3333.3 of your friends and they
could all order 3 and then LEGO would be sold out of them all, thus
defeating the 'Spirit of the law' which is 3 per customer, but he just
wanted a few more.  If the S@H people started the 3 per customer at the
beginning of the Super Chief sales, I'd be a little more on the 'You really
shouldn't have had grandma order those for you' (but I'd still be on the
fence ;) ) but since the first few orders were for like 20+ and then they
clamped down and said only 3 per, where does it leave the customer that
ordered late?

Beyond that, the idea that S@H sent an extra package does not constitute as
stealing, nor does saying to someone in the phone 'to spite you, i'm going
to work in the system you made and order more somewhere else' constitute as
working around the system.  As well, we do not know the exact extent of the
phone conversation, and third party renditions are often modified to make
their point better, or just to make a better story, therefore we cannot
judge the meaning and intent of what was said.

For me, tho, I would have called S@H and mentioned that they sent me these 3
for free, and I would be willing to pay for them.  Not only 'cause of my
Christian values (it wasn't stealing but I'd still feel guilty) but because
I want TLC to succeed, and 3 Super Chiefs mistakenly given out for free, tho
not going to bankrupt the company, will still, in some small way, cut into
their finances, and the biggest point is to let them know that 'Yes we
appreciate you (TLC), we appreciate what you do for us, and here's a small
way for us to repay--a human mistake that sent 3 free things to me which I
am more than willing to pay for...'.

Further, if there are issues such as these, maybe TLC or S@H will not be so
willing to offer these great sets in the future, 'cause of the harassments
and issues from us. We're just shooting ourselves in the foot when we 'screw
the company'.

Bottom line, Jeremy was excited, he was happy, he was just saying this cute
story, and instead of 'Wow, what a neat little story, but maybe you should
have looked at it like this!' so that he could have understood the other way
of looking at things, he instead got a deliberately sarcastic rebuttal,
which does not bode well for starting dialogue.

And you had a chance to clarify your position, which you did, and yet it
still comes across as arrogant.  How are we suppose to feel for your view
when you seem to put others on the defensive?

Dave