 Off-Topic / Debate / 15983
Re: The Free Super Chiefs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:26:12 GMT

Note: It is against my rules to post here but because of the recent
activity, which was caused by me, I decided to break that rule to address
this issue and not ignore it.  However, I am not here to stay...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
Ok these are all good points, and I would like to apologize to Jeremy for my
earlier "you're a thief and so is your daddy!" post. I agree that my tone
was a bit harsh, now that it’s past lunch and I’m settled in for a calmer
afternoon I will address this post with a “kinder gentler tone” :)

James, Thanks for the apology.  My original post didn't demand such a
offensive reply and I am glad that you have offered your apoplgy.

First comments like ” So, my Dad said, "just to spite you, I'll have my Mom
order 3 for herself!" and hung up the phone” isn’t really a physical threat
but more of an “I’ll show you that I can beat the system” kind of threat.
That’s just not the kind of thing I (this is just me now, you may do
whatever you want) would want my son bragging about.

I wasn't bragging about his actions over the phone.  If any of you have
known a very demanding person in your life, you should know that they very
commonly embarass the others around them. I remember many a time that my
whole family have thier heads under the table while my Dad argures with the
manager over the "15% tip required for parties of 6 or more" policy they
have, when he plans to pay 20% anyway.  I was in no way complementing my
Dad's rude actions on the phone, they were just a crucial element to the story.

Next off, yes, we were trying to beat the system.  I wanted more that 3 and
if there is a way, yes I will use it.  My Dad told the guy off in a rude
manner that wasn't neccesary but wheather or not he had said that, we still
would have had my Grandma do what she did, we still would have beat the system.

Second, like many have said already, getting the three trains you knew you
didn’t pay for and didn’t order and keeping them just isn’t right. To me
(now this again is my personal opinion) is a form of stealing if you don’t
notify the sender of their mistake. I think it’s stealing because you know
you didn’t order them and you didn’t pay for them. I know if I had made such
a mistake I’d hope the receiving party would at least acknowledge it. I’m
sure TLC would pay to have them returned or be willing to work a deal. I’m
not a fan of keeping things that weren’t given to me on purpose, and this is
a value that I also wish to teach my son.

Okay, well McDonalds once gave me two BigMacs in my order when I only paid
for 2.  I went back and they said keep it.  Why, it wasn't worth it to take
it back.  So I got 2 BigMacs and a tummy ache for free.  The morale: Human
error is part of the world.  If they screw up, they usually let it be.

If I found a penny on the ground and saw who dropped it, I would give it
back.  If I found it and no one was around, I would keep it.  Now increase
the value to say, $300.00.  No one was around.  Should I keep it?  No, I
should persue returning it.  Why the change?  The value.

The 10020's cost pittance to make and sell, the $40.00 price tag makes the
company lots of money.  To them, what I got was worth probably 20.00 total
to make and market and ship. I paid that times 15 to get the 8 that I paid
for.  They made up thier losses in me alone.  To get the item shipped back
will be $10.00, plus the $10.00 shipping it the items new, morally straight
home.  TLC just doubled thier cost.  It is more worthwhile to save the time,
cost, phone bills and stress to let us keep it.  Plus, we are good customers
of TLC, we've bought over $2000.00 this year alone.

I am sorry if my beliefs are wrong, but the company sent me something
without charge.  If the items were incorrectly addressed, delivered to the
wrong door, were worth tons of money or billed to someone who is not us,
then I would persue returning them.  However, this issue is different.  Lego
sent the items to me (Well, my Grandma),  I was not charged, I was sent them
by error and all the hassle that will come over a stupid 100.00 on a sold
out item is not worth my time or energy and TLC won't cry over it.

Now please, will you all calm down, let this thread die or enjoy as it was
ment to be enjoyed, as a fun entertaining story that worked out for the
better of one of your own.

Regards,

Jeremy Scott