 Trains / 15057
Re: 10020 in S@H catalogue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 02:31:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.trains, Andrea Zana writes:
I just called the Lego@Home and the customer service rep told me Lego plans
to issue 7,500 boxes of this set total.

  Would this mean that it would be considered bad form to part about 50
  out, just to get the grey 1x2x2 panels with porthole print?  :D

The issue raises lots of questions (but doesn't *beg* any).  Presumably you get
numbered decals to put on the engine?  And a certificate that goes with those
numbers?  Would there be a market for just the numbered items if you decided to
part them out? (I would guess yes.)  If a registry is created here would it
indicate "numbers 722-771 parted out by LFB" or something to that effect?  And
then if engines with those numbers showed up on eBay, say, would it make any
difference to know they aren't really the original ones?  Would this proposed
registry be like the AKC, in which you notify them when ownership is
transferred?

Also, is there a way to tell what number you've got without opening the box?
So if you buy two but want to open one and save the other you would still know
what numbers they are?

BTW I don't see how parting them out could be considered bad form.  Some people
might even like the idea if they only want certain rare pieces that you could
supply, or if they buy sets as speculators and think the fewer intact engines
in existence the greater the value of those remaining.

Maggie C.