 Star Wars / 16999
Re: All 6 movies on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:48:43 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
I can't stand the "Director's Cut" version of Blade Runner.  I thought that
somehow they would firm up Deckard-as-Replicant story insinuations that were
never properly developed, and all they did was remove the voiceovers, making
the movie incomprensible to anyone who hadn't seen the "UnDirector's Cut".

First of all, they did restore at least one key bit that the whole DaR theory
revolves around, which is the dream involving the origami unicorn, followed by
the identical origami unicorn that he receives at the end of the movie.  Second,
my understanding is that the director intentionally left that part ambiguous so
you'd be forced to decide for yourself whether he was or wasn't.

Yeah, the voiceover was not an elegant way to do the story, but without it
the movie doesn't make the slightest ounce of sense.

It might make more sense with the voiceover, but I don't have any problem
following the plot when I watch my Director's Cut.  And it's been well over a
decade since I had my one viewing of the Studio Cut.

The insertion of Jabba into Eps. IV of Star Wars is trivial in comparison.

I'd argue that it's also an entirely different situation.  Generally, Directors'
Cuts are released when a film's director hands the film over to the studio, and
the studio decides they need to "fix" it.  Generally, the popular opinion is
that the studio execs who made those decisions should have been axed the instant
they suggested messing with the films.  The one major exception that I can think
of is Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, where I understand the DC includes
_more_ footage of Spock drifting, motionless (naturally), through V'ger, and
sans music the entire time.  Yes, it makes a profound statement of the immense
size of V'ger, but at heavy expense to the sanity of the audience.  That
director should have taken lessons from the people who storyboarded the opening
credit sequense for the first season of B5.