 Star Wars / 16997
Re: All 6 movies on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:44:52 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Allan Bedford wrote:

Let me state for the record.....

He can do whatever he wants with the movies.  He can edit it so that Princess
Leah is really R2-D2's sister... I really don't care.

What I am referring to is not what he does with the movies, but rather how he
doesn't listen to the fans.  There is a difference. Not offering to release the
original versions is not listening to the fans.

I understand Lucas' position, though I'm not sure I entirely agree with it.
Yes, it is his story to tell, yes, he can change it, but what's wrong with
giving us the choice of seeing the original theatrical version (I mean, without
retaining my LaserDisc player and pre-revisionist LaserDisc versions)?  From the
film historian standpoint - which he allegedly is - he is completely remiss.

Many of us crusty old fans who saw "Star Wars" in the theaters in 1977 have a
memory locked in.  We have many memories.  We paid to see the films over and
again.  We helped George build his empire by offering him our allowances and
paper route earnings.  Remember... George never let us see those movies for
free, we always had to pay.  So do they really belong to him?  Or do the
collective memories of the original films belong to us?

I can't stand the "Director's Cut" version of Blade Runner.  I thought that
somehow they would firm up Deckard-as-Replicant story insinuations that were
never properly developed, and all they did was remove the voiceovers, making the
movie incomprensible to anyone who hadn't seen the "UnDirector's Cut".  Yeah,
the voiceover was not an elegant way to do the story, but without it the movie
doesn't make the slightest ounce of sense.  The insertion of Jabba into Eps. IV
of Star Wars is trivial in comparison.

Here is an amazing quote:

"I am very concerned about our national heritage, and I am very concerned that
the films that I watched when I was young and the films that I watched
throughout my life are preserved, so that my children can see them." (1)

Based on my rant above you might think those are my words, talking about Star
Wars. But no, those are George's words, talking about colorized Three Stooges
movies.

Well-cited!  But I know Lucas' comeback would be that the colorization is not
the vision of the original artists, and with Star Wars it is.

All I (as a fan) have asked of George is that he put out some simple
presentation of the original films without all of his post 1983 tinkering.
Beyond that, as I said, he can do whatever he wants.  It is that request, that
he bluntly ignores, that gets my goat.

The tinkering is a contamination caused by the latter trilogy, I think.  In
trying to present them as a whole, the stylistic and visual changes from the
first (in reality) to the 6th due to improvements in technology (and budget)
certainly invite trying to technically enhance the first set to better match the
second.  Without the second set, I think Lucas would be more comfortable
allowing the first to set as is.

But his relentless obsession with 'finishing' these movies has distorted
whatever they ever were.  Now there is no way for me to watch EP IV without that
goofy scene in there.  There are many DVD's that offer the original theatrical
versions, along with Director's cuts. Many DVD's, just not Star Wars.

If God had intened you to watch that scene without choice, He wouldn't have
created the "chapter advance" button on the DVD remote!  :-)

-->Bruce<--