 Star Wars / 16994
Re: All 6 movies on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:12:10 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton wrote:
I rather doubt that his portrayal of 'Wicket' got him his prominance.
'Willow' really did it for him, I'd say, which, admittedly, was a Lucas
production.

And George has cited his work as Wicket as being the reason behind producing
Willow.  In other words, it didn't just get him a role, but a whole movie.

Still, I don't think he's nearly on the same calibur as Harrison Ford,

Oh, no, I never said that.  I just find it odd that so many people casually
state that Ford is the _ONLY_ cast member who walked out of the SW movies with a
career, when it's clearly not the case.  Yes, he's the only one who went on to
become a megastar, but a number of the other then-unknowns have managed to carve
out respectable, if not flambouyant, careers since then.  I sometimes wonder if
Ford would have been as popular if fate hadn't set him up with the role of
Indiana Jones.  For that matter, the same could be asked of his role as Han
Solo.  In both cases George was trying not to cast him, but odd circumstances
led to him getting both roles (doing carpentry work in a nearby office during SW
casting, and Tom Selleck being pulled back by a contract to do Magnum P.I.),
which basically handed him starring roles as two undeniably similar characters
in six of the biggest blockbusters of all time before he'd really had a chance
to do much of anything else (and quick, can you name the other two movies that
he worked with George on?).

Alec Guiness. I've heard a few times that he really didn't want to bother
with Star Wars, probably because he thought it was too cheesy and risky of a
film, just like everyone else did before it came out. He thought the
character of Obi-Wan was also too boring and predictable of a character, and
didn't see the point in acting out something that was such an easy and
uninteresting role. So he eventually said he'd do it if his character died,
assumably to avoid ever having to play the role again in a sequel.

Well, it's a pretty well-documented fact that he was probably the only cast
member who hated signing Star Wars photos more than Ford, but I don't believe
anyone signed on for sequels until after ANH was released, which would imply
that he didn't hate the character as much as he claimed.  At least not
immediately after ANH came out.  The decision to kill off his character did
really work out for the best (it really impacts Luke's character, especially
coming so soon after the loss of his aunt and uncle; it removes one of three
characters who were largely unnecessary in the third act; and it led to the
introduction of Yoda), and appears to have been mutually agreed upon by both him
and George, but only one of them did it for the right reason.  Reading some of
his quotes on IMDB, I get the impression that his hatred of All Things Star Wars
had more to do with the fact that it was the one role that he couldn't get away
from.