 Star Wars / 16985
Re: All 6 movies on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:21:03 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Allan Bedford wrote:
Well, chances are if that's what you're hoping for, then Lucas will go out of
his way to make sure it doesn't happen.  Here's a recent quote(1) by my old
friend George that highlights this point:

Q: Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices?

LUCAS: Not really.

Hey, to give him credit, that's not entirely true.  He did also comment on how
if he'd known ahead of time how popular Boba Fett would become, he would have
given him a much less loser-y way to die, and it was that very popularity that
led to his origin story being such a major part of Ep2.  Yeah, as far as the
core story goes, he's not going to cheap out and tailor fit his story to fan
expectations just so he can make everyone happy.

2007 is the 30th anniversary of Episode IV coming out, so there's not likely
to be another major release on DVD until then (with the obvious exception of
Episode III).

I wouldn't expect to see anything even then.  The 25th anniversary passed with
just a couple of action figures with funky paint-jobs, so I kinda got the
impression that the whole point of making such a big deal about the 20th was
just to prime the audiences for the impending prequel releases.  I mean,
remember that he originally just planned to have each of the SE movies play for
one week each in a movie "dead season", but they proved to be so popular that
the releases were bumped to two-week intervals and they kept playing them
concurrently.

Amazingly enough, I really don't think all the reissues, rereleases,
retinkering, etc. is about money.

Oh, it can't be.  I mean, look at the various choices he's made.  He originally
intended to wait until after all six movies were released before putting any of
them on DVD, never mind the fact that for the last decade the three most eagerly
anticipated movie releases in the DVD format have all started with the words
"Star Wars".  Why?  Because he didn't have enough time to do comprehensive DVD
releases in the midst of the prequel production.  Just about anyone else in that
situation would have probably just put them out on DVDs that were so
stripped-down that they'd have to list "interactive menus" as a bonus feature,
and then double-dip the market at a later date with overpriced "Collector's
Editions" that still would have fallen short of what we ended up getting at
standard prices or better.  The Ep1 merchandising went overboard and ended up
with warehouses of unsold product (yet it still probably has a staggering lead
for most movie-related product sold), so the Ep2 run was cut back to nearly
nothing, if you don't count the action figure line.  And beyond all of those, he
practically worked for free on filming Star Wars just so he could retain
creative control of it and have a hope of getting the other two chapters
produced after the first one inevitably tanked (hey, that's the way he tells it,
so...).