 Star Wars / 16990
Re: All 6 movies on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:14:20 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Allan Bedford wrote:
Here is an amazing quote:

"I am very concerned about our national heritage, and I am very concerned
that the films that I watched when I was young and the films that I watched
throughout my life are preserved, so that my children can see them." (1)

Based on my rant above you might think those are my words, talking about Star
Wars. But no, those are George's words, talking about colorized Three Stooges
movies.

Now, my big question here is whether he was arguing against colorizing _any_ B&W
films, or just the ones where the director wasn't doing it of his own volition?
I can't remember who it was, but one director had his own B&W film colorized.
If George objects to him doing that, yeah, it's pretty hypocritical of him.  But
if he's just saying he doesn't want to see people acquiring the rights to films
and then deciding it would be a great idea to "improve" them, that's a
completely different situation.  Directors have been releasing "Director's Cuts"
of their films all the time, based on the fact that they weren't allowed to
produce it according to their original vision, usually due to the funding Studio
pulling the strings behind the scenes.  Every interview where this question has
popped up has inevitably gotten into the fact that he feels he was unable to
release the films he originally envisioned, due to technological and (in the
case of ANH, at least) budgetary reasons.  Of us all, he is the one person who
has a legitimate right to futz around with the movies.  Now if I ended up
getting the chance to redo anything, most of what I'd do would be improving the
original FX, such as making the Snowspeeder cockpits fully opaque (in the
original, they are slightly translucent), actually doing something to fix the
hideous lines around the Rancor, filling in the missing TIEs, and maybe, just
maybe, replacing some of the less articulate creatures with digital versions OF
THEMSELVES that are more mobile (none of this culling the Shistavanen Wolfman
completely...).

All I (as a fan) have asked of George is that he put out some simple
presentation of the original films without all of his post 1983 tinkering.

Oh, if he ever does release the pre-SE versions, I'd very much want to see some
of his post-1983 tinkering (just not the post-1995 stuff).  I'd want the THX
Widescreen version, hands down.  That is the definitive Original Trilogy, as
it's the closest to what we actually saw in the theatres over 20 years ago.

Too expensive to remaster the entire movies in their original form? Yup,
probably.  So how about a compromise?  Just give me the newly remastered
versions but with the simple option to watch them without things like the
silly Jabba meets Han scene in EP IV.

It's actually quite amusing, that for how desperate fans were to finally get
their hands on a DVD release of the original trilogy, there will still probably
be brisk sales of stripped-down bootleg copies at $20 per disc at conventions.
I went to a con a year ago and saw a bunch of Indiana Jones bootlegs selling for
$4-5 each because the official release of the trilogy was just around the
corner.  As long as George never authorizes a DVD release of the original
versions, there will always be a market for any person with the THX laserdiscs
and a DVD recorder.  Heck, for that matter, there might be a few people who'd
want the original SE versions on DVD instead of the twice-tweaked versions we
got.

Now there is no way for me to watch EP IV without that goofy scene in
there.  There are many DVD's that offer the original theatrical versions,
along with Director's cuts. Many DVD's, just not Star Wars.

I'm not going to echo George and suggest you get them on VHS (there probably
aren't many copies available, those that you could find are probably way
expensive by now, and VHS copies have a limited viewable lifespan), but there is
sort of a way for you to watch ANH without watching the Jabba scene.  Just have
your remote ready when Garindan starts walking away, and punch the Scene Forward
button.  The entire Jabba scene is conveniently a single chapter unto itself.

Either you misunderstood my comment, or I'm misunderstanding yours.  I
indicated the tinkering _wasn't_ about money.

And I was agreeing with you, while offering up reasons for doing so.  The
foremost of those is that George hasn't been churning out new releases of the
same movies every few years.  I'm one of those people who, if I have to go out
and buy new copies of a movie I already own, there had better be a real good
reason that makes me really want to do so (bonus features that I don't already
have access to is a good start, depending on content and cost, which is why I've
bought both the 2-disc and 4-disc LotR sets, while I was one of those people who
was thoroughly incensed to hear about a rumored Matrix Gold, which was
reportedly going to be a $100 version of the first Matrix movie, but with a
Wachowski Bros. commentary track, and a couple of lame peripheral collectibles).
I don't own many movies on VHS, but there is only one of them so far that I've
duplicated on DVD solely because of concerns about wearing the tape out.