 Star Wars / 16991
Re: All 6 movies on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:04:35 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley wrote:
Quite funny... I think it says something that when you look at the origional
trilogy only one good new actor came out of the movies

I'm guessing you refer to Ford, but Warwick Davis is one of the foremost
little person actors

I rather doubt that his portrayal of 'Wicket' got him his prominance. 'Willow'
really did it for him, I'd say, which, admittedly, was a Lucas production.
Still, I don't think he's nearly on the same calibur as Harrison Ford, nor do I
think any other the other actors in Star Wars are very well known nowadays,
except for Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones (who was uncredited for SW and ESB),
Alec Guiness (who was known before), and Peter Cushing (also known before).
Carrie Fisher and Mark Hammill are sorta known now, but primarily for their
roles in Star Wars-- not so much for their later work (and Fisher probably
moreso than Hammill)

and the one established actor made Lucas kill him off because he hated the
role so much.

Wait, do you mean Sir Alec Guinness or Peter Cushing?  Surely you can't be
referring to Frank Oz?

Alec Guiness. I've heard a few times that he really didn't want to bother with
Star Wars, probably because he thought it was too cheesy and risky of a film,
just like everyone else did before it came out. He thought the character of
Obi-Wan was also too boring and predictable of a character, and didn't see the
point in acting out something that was such an easy and uninteresting role. So
he eventually said he'd do it if his character died, assumably to avoid ever
having to play the role again in a sequel.

But apparently his mind was changed when Star Wars steamrollered its way into
theatres in '77, since he agreed to come back and do limited bits for ESB and
ROTJ. I kinda wonder if he needed any convincing at all for the sequels, or if
maybe he even asked for a larger part, given the success of the original...

DaveE