 Star Wars / 16998
Re: All 6 movies on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:31:02 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss wrote:
Eh?  Those old discs are still useful for something?  I should be taking
better care of them...

I'd assert that you should take good care of them regardless.  They're highly
collectible, given how few of them ever were released into the market, and
laserdiscs are much less resistant to abuse than DVDs.  I took a film class in
college, and the professor brought in a laserdisc that he'd just received in the
mail from a rental service, pulled it out to stick it in the player, and
revealed a hole the size of a quarter that had been punched through the middle
of the disc during shipping.  They're also huge and heavy, so if you drop them,
they're much more likely to shatter than a DVD, and with data stored on both
sides, there's a lot of space where it's safe to handle them.

Blast!

Oh, well, I'd need to upgrade my laser disc player to something more modern
(my ancient player doesn't even read the digital soundtrack).

That's the other problem with them.  I can't even recall the last time I saw a
laserdisc player in stores, and there's no likelihood of backwards compatibility
with a new DVD player.  At least with HD-DVD the physical media storage piece is
the same shape, so the only thing that's required for backwards compatibility is
an extra bit of software to control the read system, and another bit of software
to decode the DVD storage format.  Still, I wonder how long it'll be before we
can finally move beyond the disc format and it's dust-susceptibility (nothing
sucks more than having a movie stall out during the final action sequence
because one single fleck of dust managed to cling to just the right spot, even
though you checked the DVD before putting it in the tray), and start buying
movies on static memory cards.  I mean, if they can store a gig or more on a
chip that's smaller than a postage stamp, how big would a memory card need to be
to store the equivalent of a single HD-DVD?