 Star Wars / 16988
Re: All 6 movies on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 02:39:14 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Adrian Egli wrote:
I'd read what others have posted and thought "Naw, there won't be a six
pack." But someone posted a message about the laser disk edition and that
got me thinking about technology.

I think most of us here know DVD is not high definition but comes very close
(certainly better than VHS!) and my guess is when the industry has reached a
decision as to what will be HD-DVD then Lucas might come out with a six pack
but (again my guess) an HD-DVD only version.

Good point.  To my knowledge, every US release of the original trilogy on
home-viewable media has represented a major leap in technology, of some sort or
another.  The first full-length release was on Betamax (I've heard of an actual
reel-to-reel film version of at least TESB, but it's highly condensed and, I
believe, B&W).  The next release was regular VHS, followed quite a while later
by the THX VHS and THX laserdiscs, which brought the film quality back to the
original theatrical experience in a way that needed a side-by-side comparrison
to be truly appreciated (the one I remember is seeing a shot of C-3PO on the
Tantive IV where his whole body looks silver in the pre-THX shot and gold in the
THX-restored shot).  Next up were the SE VHS and SE laserdisc sets, once the
special effect technology caught up with George's imagination, and finally we've
gotten the revised Special Edition (RSE?) on DVD.  There appear to have been no
redundant releases, as each time they've been rereleased in the same media
format, they have looked different than the previous version(s).

Anyways, now you've got me thinking about something else.  I wonder if George's
reluctance to release the original trilogy on DVD for so long had anything to do
with how the laserdisc format pretty much flopped (and justifiably so, since
they were blasted expensive and way too fragile).  Maybe he ended up losing
money on the LD releases because so few people were able to buy them, and he
wanted the market to be super-saturated with players for any new media before
he'd release the films in that format.  I mean, he did manage to avoid releasing
them in that abominable format known as DIVX.