 Star Wars / 14422
Re: how large would the ISD be compared to the Enterprise-D?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:04:07 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:

I just don't buy that ILM constructed models INTENTIONALLY with
specific scales in mind.

Dave, if they didn't design models with a specific scale intended, they
wouldn't put figures in the cockpits! the X-wings, Y-wings, and TIE's from
Ep. 4 were ALL BUILT to the same scale (1 to 24? I can't remember), and all
had pilots of equal size inside! The snowspeeder, cloud car, smaller Falcon
for Empire, A and B wing, and even AT-ST models had figures inside which
give the ships a very obvious scale, one which is pretty well adhered to,
except for the common film practice of sometimes slightly undersizing "full
scale" set pieces to save construction cost(which sure leads to some
problems with the "on-screen is canon" argument)!

Admitedly, some times the scale of ships is changed AFTER they are built.
this was the case with the Star Destroyer from ep. 4, as well as the
Blockade Runner. The Star Destroyer (known only as "Imperial Cruiser" back
then...the official name wasn't applied until Empire) was originally built
in I believe 1 to 320 or 360 scale, making the three foot model about 1000
ft. long. The Blockade Runner was, by neccesity, also meant to be shorter
than the 150 m size now accepted (otherwise it wouldn't have "fit" into the
SD docking bay). It was initially designed to be even smaller, as it was to
be the Falcon itself! Blah, blah, blah, I could ramble on, but be assured:
the model makers DO have a scale in mind when they build, though it can be
changed later.

I'll agree with you that Curtis Saxton Does sometimes run off on his own
tangent and stamps it with a "this is the end of the argument" seal, and I
emailed him with lots of praise and some constructive criticism only to be
ignored, making me wonder if he thinks he's above question. I still find his
site thoroughly enjoyable, though.

Brian