 Star Wars / 14363
Re: how large would the ISD be compared to the Enterprise-D?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:58:46 GMT

Super Star Destroyer:  12,800 Meters
Death Star 1: 120,000 Meters in Diameter
Death Star 2: 160,000 Meters in Diameter

-Jason

Jason, unfortunately you've used a reference for the Executor class Super
Star Destroyer length which falls for the old "5 mile fallacy" or to be more
precise, "8 mile fallacy" (no, nothing to do with the new Eminem movie).
Every "official" source has continued to use either the 8000 meter length
inexplicably arrived at by West End games years ago, or the revised but
still hopelessly incorrect 12,800 seen even on the official SW website.
While I sometimes chastise people for not simply using their eyes and
looking at the films closely, I'll skip it and go right to the definitive
source to end the debate: Dr. Curtis Saxton's Star Wars Technical
commentaries at Theforce.net.

He explains in exhaustive detail how you can clearly show that the Executor
is 11 times the length of a 1.6 KM Star Destroyer, or 17.6 km (11 miles) in
length. The easiest way is to use the bridge structure as a perfect
comparative reference. The two ships share THE SAME bridge, which provides
an exacting way to compare length. Rather than ramble on any more, I'll let
this pic and the site itself do the talkin!':

The argument ending photo (LOOK at the bridge towers)!:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/ssd/ssdisd.gif

The entire section on Super Star Destroyers (includes "the history of the 5
mile falacy":

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html

And, for those with about a MONTH of free time to read it all, the entire
Technical Commentaries:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/

Is this site amazing or what?

Sorry for the rant, but I've been a champion of the truth about SD scale
since I was a kid and could see on the screen that the Executor was
obviously bigger than was being claimed!

-Brian