 Star Wars / 14427
Re: how large would the ISD be compared to the Enterprise-D?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:07:50 GMT

Alright you are completely missing the point here.

I don't think that *I'm* missing the point, actually.  :)

Most of the 'crap' you mentioned is contradicted by the
movies and is therefore ignored.

There is no need to be rude; we're all friends here.  I rather enjoyed
Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and the Droids comics are hilarious.

(This is the official Lucasfilm policy)

Actually, Lucasfilm policy has been to come up with a "continuity fix" for
EU items that seem to contradict the films.  The Sith history was expanded
upon to
account for new additions when TPM was released, and the same thing happened
to the history of the Death Star when AOTC was released, for example.  For
the most part, though, only small fixes have been needed, as very few EU
products directly contradict the new films.

The Droids comic, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, etc. are contradicted by the
movies.

I think this statement makes it clear that you haven't actually read either the
comics or the novel.  I have, and I can assure you that neither one
contradicts any of the movies.  One of the Marvel Star Droids comics contains a
statement that has been brought into question by TPM, but that is easily
fixed.  The Dark Horse comics don't contradict the films at all.  The
characterizations in Splinter are slightly off, but that can be attributed
to the fact that Alan Dean Foster only had access to the ANH script when he
wrote the book.  There are no direct contradictions between the book and any
of the movies.

Just because some editor uses them as a refrence does not make them
legitamate, in fact is simply makes whatever said editor creates an ignored (or at least
seriously flawed) source as well.

No, it doesn't.  Splinter and Droids are widely referenced.  In fact,
practically *any* well researched reference book contains some material from
one or both sources, and one of the EU's more common slang terms comes
directly from Splinter.  LFL does *not* consider Splinter *or* Droids to be
Infinities.  I'm curious, where did you get this idea?

Where do you think the 8km Super Star
Destroyer, 120km Death Star 1, and 160km Death Star 2 numbers came from?
Well it certainly wasn't from watching the movies.

I would think that the people coming up with those numbers would have
watched the movies at least once, but that's just me.  Even if not, I wasn't
aware that one could tell the *exact* length of a spacecraft by merely
watching the movie in which it appears.

I'll agree with you that Curtis Saxton Does sometimes run off on his own
tangent and stamps it with a "this is the end of the argument" seal...

It's definitely useful for lots of stuff. As long as you follow what he's
saying and make sure he's not ignoring something obvious and that his
sources are backed up accurately (or accounted for), it's well worth a read.

Quite right.  I've found his discussions of Imperial ranks and the Holiday
Special to be quite useful.
One particularly interesting section is the one on the injuries of Darth
Vader.  That is one of my favorites.

and I emailed him with lots of praise and some constructive criticism only to be
ignored, making me wonder if he thinks he's above question.

I know several people who have e-mailed him, and even recived a response,
and that was the impression they got too.  ;)  However, he has gone on to
bigger and better things, which is why he no longer updates the site or
responds to e-mails as often as he used to.  He is now the author of the
Episode II: Incredible Cross Sections, and I assume that he will soon be
busy writing the Episode III Cross Sections.  His work in the former book
(which includes as its source material several sources that he previously
considered non-canon) was quite excellent, as a matter of fact.

So, getting back to the topic, I've compiled a list of several Star Trek
ship lengths in meters, along with the two larger Imperial Star Destroyers:

Enterprise (?) (Enterprise [Archer's]) Class Starship 225 m
Constitution Class Starship (Enterprise [Kirk's]) 289 m
Intrepid Class Starship (Voyager) 345 m
Galaxy Class Starship (Enterprise-D) 641 m
Imperial Class Star Destroyer 1,600 m
Super Class Star Destroyer 12,800 m (official length) OR 17.6 km (fan
fiction extrapolation by Dr. Curtis Saxon)

Either way, both classes of Star Destroyers dwarf the Federation Starship lines.

Adrick