 Star Wars / 14373
Re: how large would the ISD be compared to the Enterprise-D?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:14:24 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, James Wilson writes:
Fair enough, and I enjoy a good sci-fi tale as much as most geeks.  I just
get a big kick out of it when people start arguing about the size of the
"real" prototype from a movie.  Especially the ones that are completely CGI!
Or cartoons - ever heard a couple of geeks arguing about the layout of
equipment inside Speed Racer's Mach V?

Cheers,
James

Yeah, James, I know what you mean! I didn't mean to come across as being so
militant about this stuff. Believe it or not, I don't sit and obsess about
SW scale and such, or spend lots of time researching it (heck, I've only
made it through a few pages of the Tech. Commentaries myself). I've just
always naturally been visually drawn to things I like, and they lodge in my
brain without any effort. LEGO building is also tied into these visual and
mental exercises and, for me at least, proper scale is of fundamental
importance. I also draw, another avenue where these things apply. As for the
SD size debate, it just always surprised me that it seemed clear to me  that
the Executor was about 10x the length of an SD from the first time I saw
Empire in 1980, and so many other sources seemed to miss that...okay, maybe
I DO obsess a little bit!

You've got to admit, if we all didn't care about scale and accuracy, this
entire thread never would have happened (and it started with a
cross-universe comparison in the first place - even more "unreal" than
comparing SW with SW)!

In the end, remember: you're not REALLY a geek if:
A) You keep discussions of your obsessions to people who share them and
don't bombard "civilians" with how many TIE fighters a SD holds (72, isn't it?)

B) You make sure never to wear more than one piece of clothing featuring the
same obsession at a time (for example, I'll wear a SW shirt with a Detroit
red Wings hat, but NEVER a Red wings (or SW) shirt AND hat at the same
time)!  ;)

-Brian