 Star Wars / 14391
Re: how large would the ISD be compared to the Enterprise-D?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:08:28 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeff Jardine writes:
In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
The best way to figure it would probably be:
- compare Endor's size to the size of the Death Star II (I'd use the
hologram projection scene)
- Endor is theoretically about the same size as Earth (at the very least has
near the same mass)
- Check curvature of DSII to SSD.

Technically, you can guess that Endor's gravity is very close to that on
Earth, but that doesn't mean the mass is the same unless you also assume
their densities are the same.

Well-- strictly speaking we know the *mass* is roughly the same. But you're
right: we don't know the density of the planet, hence we can't *REALLY*
guess at the planet's volume... And therefore you can't guarantee the
curvature of the planet based on mass.

I'm pretty comfortable with the assumption of similar densities, though,
since in order to get such a near-Earthlike ecosystem (trees, clouds, etc),
chances are it's pretty similar to Earth. True that denser materials could
make up the planet's core, but likely such materials in abundance would
alter the ecosystem (at the very least in its intial stages) enough so as to
make it less Earth-like. Still in the realm of possibility that it's way
off, though.

Anyway, I guess I should say that I feel safer assuming Endor's density as
roughly Earthlike than I do assuming that the bridge designs on the SSD and
ISD are identical.

(yummy nits to pick!)

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose...

It's sad how fun it is to nitpick :) As long as people don't start taking it
too seriously-- After all, it's just a movie :)

DaveE