 Star Wars / 14409
Re: how large would the ISD be compared to the Enterprise-D?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:53:19 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Adrick Tolliver writes:
The conclusions drawn by Dr. Saxton in his Technical Commentaries are false.

Some of them sure are :)

The "true" (as true as any fictional ship can get) length of a Super Star
Destroyer is either 12,800 meters as stated on SW.com's databanks, or the
8000 meter RPG length.  Both are official, and appear in *official* LFL
products.

Yeah, unfortunately, the guage of "accurate" could be measured:

#1 - Canon - anything taken DIRECTLY from the RELEASED movies. Even scripts
or uncompleted scenes aren't canon.

The novels of the movies and the original radio dramas are also canon after the
movie in that order.
[snip]
He does that in quite a few places. He gets the number he *WANTS* from *ONE*
supposedly canon source, and then treats all other *CONFLICTING* canon
sources as though they're disposable, or ignores them completely. The
biggest mistake I've found to date though was AT-AT stride length. He
assumed it was 10 meters long, for no reason in particular, and stating no
sources whatsoever. And given the movie stride length, and his *OWN*
estimations of AT-AT size, their strides were 5.5 meters! In order to match
his 10 meter stride estimation, the AT-AT's would be 137 feet tall! :)

You say it would be 137 feet tall like it isn't about that.  Watch 'Empire'
where luke "magna-grapling hooks" his way up to the body of the AT-AT. Assuming
luke is your average 6 ft. tall person the AT-AT would easily be 137 feet tall
by comparison.

Anyway, I always take everything on SWTC with a grain of salt. If you don't
follow his logic closely, he may try and pull a fast one :)

DaveE
-Mike Petrucelli