 Star Wars / 14416
Re: how large would the ISD be compared to the Enterprise-D?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 02:39:58 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Thomas Garrison writes:
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

Well the 'Official' order of canon is as follows:
-Movies
-Novels of Movies
-Radio Dramas of Movies

Not quite canon but overruling 'official' sources are:
-Expansion Novels originally published by Bantam Books
-Expansion Comics originally published by Dark Horse

Then we have official sources:
-StarWars.com
-Behind the Magic CD-ROM
-Various Cross Sections and Essential Guide to the 'X' books.

Then we have ignored sources:
-'Droids' comics
-'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' novel
-Games (games are balanced to be a fun game so technology is often 'madeup',
although certain story elements could be considered official)

Eh?  Isn't _Splinter of the Mind's Eye_ in the official lists of books, as
well as the other books originally published by Del Rey (Brian Daley's Han
Solo novels, L. Neil Smith's (odd) Lando Calrissian novels, and all the
books published since Bantam was kicked out, including the entire New
Jedi Order)?

Ok its been a while since I read any of the books, (they really started going
down hill and that is putting nicely,) so the newer Del Rey book are probablly
official sources at the very least.  Splinter of the Mind's Eye was rendered
completly 'fan fiction' ignored source when Empire Strikes Back came out and
contradicted quite a bit of it.

The newspaper comics?  The Marvel comics that have been reprinted by Dark
Horse (the other Marvel comics are generally ignored, I know)?  The
Christmas Special?

Not only ignored I think they pretend the Christmas Special never even
happened.

The Scholastic juveniles (Jedi Quest/Jedi
Apprentice) and the other juveniles (e.g., Young/Junior Jedi Knights, both
listed in the timeline in the NJO books)?

Probably offical.

--
TWS Garrison (one of those people who views new Star Wars movies with the
attitude "What will Lucas do to screw up the (superior) EU now?")

Interesting, most of the non-Lego Star Wars fans I know consider Episode 2
almost as good as Empire and laughed when Kevin J Anderson's 'death star
creation' story was rendered all wrong.  (Although one could argue that the
Emperor only let Tarkin think it was all his idea and really knew about the Maw
Installation all along.)

http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/
Remove capital letters in address for direct reply.

-Mike Petrucelli