 Space / 625
Re: Enough trans-antifreeze!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:25:45 GMT

Mike Petrucelli wrote:

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/marathon.html

That is a nice ship.  Well designed, I like it.  It is a little small though.
I don't mean to sound rude but it would not survive one hit from my cruiser.

Depends on what you hit it with.  It's not designed to go toe to toe with capital
ships; that's what capital ships are for, naturally.  ;)  The purpose of Marathon
was to test modularity in large, multi-lobed vessels; to test the feasability of a
new design of boarding ramp (wonderfully successful); and finally to test the
efficacy of single-strut springloaded landing gear (less successful, but fully
retractable--useful for atmospheric fire support).  I may buy a digital camera
today, because the really good part of Marathon is the interior (you can see the
prime bridge in B&W there).  The engineering section was beautiful--complete with
FTL drive cores and engineering crawlspaces, and even all in complementary colours!

I remember seeing your cruiser before--the interior is nicely done, very
systematically, and I can't imagine the pains you went to in order to make the
exterior all black.  I definitely liked the use of the trans-fluoro saucer
sections, and it's a great example of getting away from Great Square design.
What's the story on the little "forks" at the front?  And where are those vaunted
weapons arrays?  ;)

By the way, I like the little fighters--they're neat.  However, they're a little
small; I like my functional fighters a little bigger.  Tiny fighters wouldn't
survive long in a tete-a-tete with a wing of JS-100 modular attack fighters (and
their turrets):

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/fighters.html

Of course, that's a loaded comparison, because those fighters and attack ships are
free of the restrictions of carrier-based craft.  The original thought on Marathon
had been to add small fighters or shuttles in modules outboard, but fully
externally.

-Lord Insanity (whom is wondering what good dead marines are :-P)

They're no good.  But if a ship lands, they come in mighty handy...and what good is
an empire without power projected on planetary surfaces?

best,

LFB