 General / 11055
Re: Enough trans-antifreeze!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:59:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Mr L F Braun wrote:

Mike Petrucelli wrote:

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/marathon.html

That is a nice ship.  Well designed, I like it.  It is a little small • though.
I don't mean to sound rude but it would not survive one hit from my • cruiser.

Depends on what you hit it with.  It's not designed to go toe to toe with • capital
ships; that's what capital ships are for, naturally.  ;)  The purpose of • Marathon
was to test modularity in large, multi-lobed vessels; to test the • feasability of a
new design of boarding ramp (wonderfully successful); and finally to test • the
efficacy of single-strut springloaded landing gear (less successful, but • fully
retractable--useful for atmospheric fire support).  I may buy a digital • camera
today, because the really good part of Marathon is the interior (you can see • the
prime bridge in B&W there).  The engineering section was beautiful--complete • with
FTL drive cores and engineering crawlspaces, and even all in complementary • colours!

Just looking at the pictures earlier I can picture what you are talking
about.  I really do like the design of the vessel.  Your description
only increases my opinion of it.  I would love to see a color picture.
The internal areas apart from the bridge and fighter bay never made it
into my own cruiser.  I ran out of black plates.  I will be buying lots
of 5217 Black Plates if they don't discontinue it :-P

I remember seeing your cruiser before--the interior is nicely done, very
systematically, and I can't imagine the pains you went to in order to make • the
exterior all black.

You have no idea...

I definitely liked the use of the trans-fluoro saucer
sections, and it's a great example of getting away from Great Square design.
What's the story on the little "forks" at the front?  And where are those • vaunted
weapons arrays?  ;)

The forks were to get away from the boring wedge or point ship design.
Those antifreez saucers are the primary weapons.  Picture a giant ball
of energy launched up to a 45 degree angle away, at a rate of 3 per
second.  It has 2 of those.  I also has 31 turbolasers (think power of
starwars with the delivery of startrek), 66 point-defence lasers (ditto,
but for use against fighters, torps. ect.), 20 small torpedo launcher
(technic peg hole), 4 lare torpedo launchers (acctually built four of
those in ports), and 2 ion cannons.

By the way, I like the little fighters--they're neat.  However, they're a • little
small; I like my functional fighters a little bigger.  Tiny fighters • wouldn't
survive long in a tete-a-tete with a wing of JS-100 modular attack fighters • (and
their turrets):

I can't load your page right now so I can't comment on them.  I designed
my fighters to be small not only to save space but with the idea that
they would be faster and more agile than most others.  Notice the two
main cannons, they are my fazer cannons. they only fire directly away
from the emitter but each blast is equivelent to half a turbolaser blast
of one second.  In the back you will notice the two (red in the gif on
my website and my all black, blue windshield prototype siting next to
the computer) cones and 1x1 round plate on a sidways double stud.  Those
are point-defence lasers capable of firing up to a 45 degree angle away
from line-of-site.
I realize that compared to the Lego X-wing they are ridiculously small.
I mentally explained that away by rationalizing that Lego Space
technology was far more advanced with very small and 100% efficient
(impossible by scientific practices) reactors for power.

http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/fighters.html

Of course, that's a loaded comparison, because those fighters and attack • ships are
free of the restrictions of carrier-based craft.  The original thought on • Marathon
had been to add small fighters or shuttles in modules outboard, but fully
externally.

I made a few ships that way long ago, it looked really stupid to me.

-Lord Insanity (whom is wondering what good dead marines are :-P)

They're no good.  But if a ship lands, they come in mighty handy...and what • good is
an empire without power projected on planetary surfaces?

That is why I am glad Rock Raiders gets a fig pack.  I will wait for a
sale and buy 100 of them.  I'll have a confederate army for my union
soldiers, a construction crew for town, and 300 enlisted space men.
black and grey guy with brown helmet will be my marines,  blue lady will
by my pilots, and orange guy will be my engineers.

best,

LFB

I'll try to check out your fighters when the net gets more cooperative.
You got me curious.

Those fighters are really cool looking.  In my universe they would be
classified as corvettes due to size though. (Eat fighters for breakfest but
easy pickings for capital ships.  Size is extremely important to weapons
accuarcy in my universe. Speed and agility are largely irrelevent against
point-defence and turbolasers.  So long as a vessel is a certain size no
amount of doging will evade them.)  I suppose my own Lego universe dynamics is
against your ships as tactical threats.  Make no mistake though I think they
are very good designs.

--
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men"

Visit me at:  http://members.tripod.com/~LordInsanity