 General / 10879
Re: Enough trans-antifreeze!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:58:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Thompson writes:
In lugnet.general, Aaron West writes:
I just mean that "true" space themes to me were the 1980's sets based on
little yellow headed people exploring the galaxy (like in the original idea
book).  It is mostly a feeling I have from my childhood when LEGO was a
peaceful universe where they needed no weapons and had no enemies.  Granted,
the theme has every right to be expanded, but "true" space to me means non-
violent exploration.   No battles, no theft, no conquest and no guns.  Just
little yellow people living in harmony.
Cheesy, but satifying.
Aaron.
"He's got the whole brick in his bucket..."

Smile.  That works.  But by that definition, at least in my universe,
the Insectoid sets are definitely space sets - they don't seem
particularly war-oriented - no more so than any other space theme
I can think of, and much less so than the space police lines (which are
inarguably built around conflict).  Insectoid just looks to me like
an alien version of M:tron to me - an exploration and mining
fleet of some kind.  Although I guess the light and sound elements
are supposed to make you think that lasers are firing or something.

Random comment - the Insectoid light and sound element reminds me of
the old Mattel Starbird toy from the early 80s.  Anyone remember that?
You'd tilt the starbird up, and a gravity switch of some kind would make
the whine of the engines get higher and higher.  Then you'd tilt the nose
of the spaceship down, and the sound would cycle down accordingly.  Whereas
LEGO cycles the pitch of the sound upward based on how long you hold
the button down.

I can't decide which I think is cooler - having a button that makes
the pitch of the sound get higher, or having it do it based on the
orientation of the ship.  My wife argues that it's cooler to let the
kid have more explicit control over the sound by decoupling the pitch
of the sound from the orientation of the craft, the way LEGO implemented
it.  I guess I can agree, but the noise the starbird made as you
tilted it up was just so darn cool and satisfying.

--

jthompson@esker.com    "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

On reflection (and a shower) I have to agree about the Insectoids.  They do
fit my definition of true space.  Were I not to admit that, I'd be a racist.
Just cause they don't have yellow heads is no excuse not to include them.  I
guess they just feel disjointed from continuity, but heck, so does Ice Planet
2000!
So, perhaps what I am really missing is the whole "city in space" feel of the
1980's sets.  That "space town" has been lost by LEGO lately (probably because
TLG [or whatever] knows we all would just pillage any village with our death-
cruisers.).  Of course, so has "town" town, there just are NO houses!
By the way, I had the Starbird (somewhere in the attic now)!  That was the
coolest pitch control, deceleration tilted downward, acceleration tilted
upward.  Sounded like a detonation buildup sequence.  Pitch and tilt would be
cool on a lego lander of some sort.
The Insectiod electronic element, when combined with the UFO hull sections in
circular formation makes an EXCELLENT super-space battleship turret cannon.
Who says I am non-violent?  I still make 'em that way.
Boldly Building What No One Has Built Before...
Aaron